September 18, 2014 by JImbo
I WAS NOMINATED FOR A LIEBSTER AWARD!
I was nominated by magpiecws for a Liebster Award (thanks, Mags!). Basically, the Liebster Award is a nomination to answer 11 questions, then tag 11 other people and ask 11 more questions!
So, here are my answers to her questions:
My 11 questions for my nominees are:
- What is your blog about?
In a nutshell the “Readneck Review” (readneckreview.wordpress.com) is about sharing what it’s like to be a an “educated redneck” straddling the “urban” and “rural” worlds. I’m sure there are plenty of us out there who can relate to not quite fitting in between worlds.
Beyond that, I like to bring some “down home common sense” to the frontpage headlines. I’m the one that folks usually ask to interpret the news. It’s important people know what’s going on and the easiest way to turn them off is by saying “You wouldn’t understand. It’s complicated.”
Well that’s bullshit. Usually it’s not all that complicated. It’s just inconvenient to tell the truth!
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the other direction.” – Albert Einstein
- Where is your favourite place in the world?
Locally? I love going down to the Lake. It’s peaceful and the fishing is good.
- What inspires you?
People. They also frustrate me as well. But, that’s the question isn’t it? Two sides of the same coin. How to maximize the good and minimize the bad in all of us.
- If you could swap places with any character in any novel, who would you choose, and why?
Not really. I think we’re writing our own stories every day in our lives. I do see lots of parallels in real life with characters in novels.
Eerily, the book “Brave New World” is becoming amazingly prescient in predicting just what sort of twisted future we’re headed towards.
- What is the bravest thing you have ever done?
- What did you want to do for a living as an adult when you were 12 years old?
I’m guessing I was somewhere between Fighter Pilot, Secret Agent and History Teacher. I’m none of those, but have done aspects of each in some way. It’s been a long, crazy trip so far and it’s far from over!
- Describe three items that are in the room with you, right now.
iPod, US Constitution, Firefly DVD set
- Who would you want to play you in a movie portrayal of your life story?
If someone were REALLY in the mood for losing lotsa money, I guess Simon Pegg… or Adam from Mythbusters. I am told all the time I resemble those guys. I suppose there’s lots worse folks to be compared to.
- What is your favourite book?
Wow, that’s such a loaded question. Does that include reference books like the Dictionary or the Bible? I guess if you mean just fiction literature…A couple I keep going back to more and more are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I take a lot of heat for it, but the folks I find who have issues with them have never read them. How do you know you hate something unless you’ve read it first? Hell, I’ve read Rules for Radicals, the Q’uran and Mein Kampf. Definitely not a fan of those but I put in the effort. Lots of lazy haters our there I suppose.
- If you could only eat one type of food for the rest of your life, what would you pick?
I think that’d be a pretty short, boring, sick life no matter what you picked!
- If you could give your younger self once piece of advice, what would it be?
“Smile, tomorrow will be worse!”
Seriously though, because it gets worse it gets better. Sounds like nonsense but you don’t realize better until you’ve been through worse. It makes you appreciate what you have.
Do y’all feel enlightened now? Good, then you can all clamor to read my new book!
Or Am I????
And now, my questions to you are:
- Why did you start your blog?
- What do you do about writer’s block?
- If you could spend a day with any author in history, who would it be and why?
- What are your goals for 2015?
- Do you have any unique traditions in your family for the holidays?
- What’s the most blatant lie you’ve ever told?
- While writing, do you smoke marijuana, drink alcohol or participate in any other vice to get your creative juices flowing?
- How much weight do you put into naming a character that you write?
- Do you have a favourite quote?
- Do you prefer to write on paper (and if so, do you prefer a quill, pen or pencil?), or do you prefer writing on a computer?
Pass any combination of these questions or the previous questions (or a NEW question you come up with!) on to some of your favorite bloggers. Maybe we can all find some new authors and bloggers to read along the way. =-)
Copy me in if you decide to do this so I can learn more about you!
List of 11 blogs for me to nominate:
2-Silent Panda Review
3-The Mind of Lel
4-The Other Silent Panda
5-The Conservative Treehouse
6-Mike’s Look at Life
8-The Arlin Report
10-The Public Blogger
And last but not least: